Submit Your New Experimental Plays
The Cutting Ball Theater will be accepting submissions of new experimental plays from July 20 through August 30, 2012 for consideration for the 2013-2014 season’s RISK IS THIS Festival and possible future productions. We are eager to support the work of established and emerging writers who explore bold, challenging new forms in their writing.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully before submitting your work.
1. In order to effectively manage the volume of submissions, scripts will only be accepted between July 20 – August 30, 2012.
2. All scripts considered for RISK IS THIS must be experimental plays – plays that employ unconventional, dynamic and imaginative language, structure, and staging. We encourage authors to look at Cutting Ball’s past productions and plays selected in previous RISK IS THIS festivals, or, better yet, to come see a Cutting Ball production to learn more.
3. All scripts considered for RISK IS THIS may not have received a professional production with AEA actors. Workshops, readings and non-professional productions are ok. Please do not submit material previously submitted to RISK IS THIS.
4. This year, all submissions must be accompanied by a receipt for a $30 donation from each playwright. Local Bay Area playwrights receive a discount for a $20 donation*. In order to make your donation:
- Click the Donate tab on Cutting Ball’s homepage
- You will find two options, one for Bay Area playwrights and one for non-local.
- Enter your donation amount and fill out the appropriate information in the required fields. Write “Risk” in the Acknowledgement field.
- You will receive a digital receipt in the body of an email. Forward this email to email@example.com. Change the subject line to “Writer’s full name – 2013 Submission” (e.g. August Strindberg – 2013 submission). Attach your play submission. Submissions should be attached to the email as a Word Document (.doc or .docx) or PDF. No hard copies will be accepted.
5. All submissions must be in a single document, with page numbers and the author’s name and email on each page. All submissions must include the following elements, in this order:
- A title page, with the script title, the author’s name and contact information.
- A one-page synopsis of the play, with a list of characters and other special requirements.
- A production and developmental history of the play (including readings, workshops, and non-professional productions)
- The script itself, in standard script format.
- A one page resume or bio of the writer (optional)
6. All authors will receive acknowledgment of receipt of submission. Notifications about selections for the festival will be sent in the winter of 2012-2013.
*Why is there a fee this year?
The fee is being implemented this year because as the submissions process for RISK has grown, so have the administrative costs around handling all of those submissions. All fees collected will go directly to costs related to the application process and to support the production of new experimental work here at Cutting Ball.